Food (Part 1--IELTS Speaking)

- Food (Part 1--IELTS Speaking)


Practice Questions:
  • What's your favourite food?
  • Have you always liked the same food?
  • Is there any food you dislike? [Why/Why not?]
  • What is a common meal in your country?
  • Do you have a heavy diet?
  • What do you think about fast food?
Vocabulary & Ideas (to talk about food, eating out, etc.)
  • a foodie: a person who loves food and is interested in different types of food

    I am a foodie.
    I am an avid foodie.

    Don't say: I am a foodie person.

  • a picky eater: a person who is extremely choosy or fussy about what they do or do not eat. (this term is usually used for children but can be used for grown-ups as well)

    I am a rather picky eater.

    Not that I am exactly a picky eater, but there are certain things I'd rather not eat.

    I was a notoriously picky eater as a kid. Thankfully, now I am not that picky and choosy.

    notorious: famous for some bad quality or deed

  • indulge: allow oneself to enjoy the pleasure of
    overindulge: have too much of something enjoyable

    I indulge once in a while but I know where to draw a line. I have learnt through experience that overindulging can result in health issues, etc. As with almost everything, moderation is the key.

  • staple: main or important food
    I usually have rice, veggies, and lentils as a staple food. Having rich food is a rarity.

  • It is not pleasant to my taste buds: I do not like its taste

  • cuisine: food characteristic of a particular country or region

    Indian cuisine includes a variety of many different dishes and cooking styles. It is, after all, a diverse country.
    There are, of course, rich curries and the renowned aroma of spices.
    My favourite, however, is the cuisine from down south.

  • variety is what we crave for

  • palate: the sense of taste

    experiment with my palate
    satisfy my palate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Essay - Reason Solution (Writing Task 2)

Samples Answers (Radio & Television Audiences in UK, 1992)

Letters--Writing Task 1 IELTS General Training (Templates)