IELTS Sample Letter (school trip; parent volunteer; head teacher) Writing Task 1 General

 - IELTS Writing Task 1 (General) (Letter)

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.


Your child is going on a three-day trip to another country. The head teacher wants to find parents to go with the group and you would like to go.

Write a letter to the head teacher.

In your letter:

·  say why you would like to go on the trip

·  suggest what you could do to help during the trip

·  ask for details about the trip

Start with:
Dear Mr ________

 

Sample Letter

 

Vocabulary suggestions

  • I would like to thank the school for arranging this amazing trip for the middle schoolers.
  • to accompany the children
  • I would like to volunteer
Ideas for responding to the first point (say why you would like to go on the trip)
  • It would be a great bonding time for my son and me.
Ideas for responding to the second point (suggest what you could do to help during the trip)
  • I can be of help as I have been to the destination before.
  • I know the local language. So, I can pitch in by helping combat the language barrier.
  • Having worked as a teacher for almost five years, I have experience managing large groups of young children.
  • I am a nurse by profession and my knowledge of medicine can come in handy.
Ideas for responding to the third point (ask for details about the trip)
  • detailed itinerary
  • accommodation arrangements
  • exact arrival and departure dates

Mistakes that are commonly made in the content of this letter
  • The question says 'your child is going on the trip', so whether you get to go along or not cannot be a condition for whether your child will go on the trip or not.
    I have read responses to this letter which mention something like:
    "My child has some allergies and I will only send my child on the trip if I can come along."
  • If you join the group, you would be expected to be responsible for not just your own child.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Essay - Reason Solution (Writing Task 2)

Samples Answers (Radio & Television Audiences in UK, 1992)

Letters--Writing Task 1 IELTS General Training (Templates)